Applications are currently being accepted!
What is Open Access?
Library patrons who wish to access materials during low-volume hours outside of fully staffed library hours may do so by applying for self-serve Open Access privileges. All services are independent and self-serve during this time.
The Open Access service model provides patrons the opportunity to access library materials outside of fully staffed operating hours. Open Access is a system developed by Bibliotheca that automatically controls and monitors building access, self-service kiosks, and other technology. A security guard will monitor the use of the facility.
*The Genealogy and Historical Room cannot be accessed during Open Access hours.
*Only print materials are available at this time. Computer usage, copiers, scanning, etc. will be added at a later date.
Where is Open Access available?
Open Access is currently available only at Washington Memorial Library Sundays from 1 PM to 5 PM. Patrons 18 years of age and older must apply to have access to the space.
How does Open Access work?
Upon arrival, patrons will insert their library card into a reader at the entrance and gain access to library resources.
Who qualifies for Open Access?
- Patrons 18 years and younger with autism or other special needs
- Patrons 65 years and older or person with pre-existing conditions that increase their risk of COVID-19
Open Access Policy
- Complete MGRL application
- Applications must be completed in person at the participating library.
- Applicants must present their library card and a photo ID for verification purposes.
- Applications will be considered based upon library history to include responsible use of library materials and facilities.
- The library reserves the right to deny the application for any reason.
- The appeal of the decision can be made in writing to the attention of the Library Director.
Do I have to use Open Access?
You do not have to apply for Open Access if it does not fit your library needs. You can still access all of your favorite library services - 3D printing, classes, programs, computers, readers advisory, reference assistance, etc. during our fully staffed hours of 9 AM- 8 PM Monday through Thursday and 9 AM-6 PM Friday-Saturday.
For more information about Open Access, call 478-300-6744 or stop by Washington Memorial Library.