Service to Regional Affiliate Libraries
The Extension Services/Bookmobile department of the Middle Georgia Regional Library serves as a link between the regional affiliate branches in Crawford, Jones, Macon, Twiggs, and Wilkinson counties and the main library, Washington Memorial Library, in Bibb County. The Bookmobile visits each of the 9 affiliate branches on a weekly basis, with the Extension Services Librarian and staff facilitating delivery and pickup of books, and providing branch employees and patrons with professional reference services. Additionally, the Bookmobile coordinates large-print deposit collections in numerous local nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
History of the Bookmobile
The first bookmobile for Macon and Bibb County was placed into service in 1939; this was the first commercially built bookmobile in Georgia. Bookmobile service to Twiggs and Jones counties marked the beginning of what is now the Middle Georgia Regional Library System.
The Negro Bookmobile was established at Washington Memorial Library in September 1951, was moved to Amelia Hutchings Library in October 1956, and served the black schools until it was phased out in September 1967.
In 1972, the newest bookmobile was named “Miss Martha” in honor of Martha Sparks who had been employed by the library since 1915.