An initiative of Georgia’s Public Libraries
Brought to you by Middle Georgia Regional Library System
Reading Magic by Mem Fox reveals the incredible emotional and intellectual impact reading aloud to children has on their ability to learn to read. Research shows that reading books and sharing stories with your child is one of the best ways to help them enter school with the language skills they need to be ready to learn and grow.
What is 1,000 Books B4 Kindergarten?
You are encouraged to read and share books, stories, nursery rhymes and songs with your child. Each of these counts towards your child’s 1,000 “books”. For every 100 books read your child will earn rewards.
During Fall 2015, MGRL will begin distributing reading logs. So, stop by and pick up one! We will also host recurring lap-sit story-time programs and many special 1,000 Books B4K events for children and families. Stories shared during these events can be added to your logs! You can also record the books you read online by simply going to: http://b4.georgialibraries.org/
Our 1,000 B4K Goals
Since we’re in this together, our shared goals are:
– To learn, discover, grow and have fun!
– 1KB4K: Complete 5,000 reading logs. If 1,000 children complete 5 reading logs each, that will be 5,000 reading logs and 1,000 children entering Kindergarten prepared to have greater success in school!
– Encourage family and friends to join in!
1,000 Books B4K Community Services and Programs
– MGRL Book Deposits at family and child oriented organizations throughout the Central
– Increased programming at all MGRL libraries for children, particularly for ages birth to 5 and their parents or caregivers. Stories shared at these programs will count towards your child’s 1,000 books.